||No - 4 to a case
- Road Name: Southern (Brown/White)
- Road Number: 74139, 74483
- Product Line: Atlas O -Trainman
- Scale: O Scale
- Estimated Release: 4th Quarter 2021
Two road numbers are available per road name.
- Separately applied coal load, brake wheels, an brake platform
- Either flat or arched end as appropriate by railroad
- Accurate painting & lettering
- Metal couplers and sprung die-cast trucks
- True scale dimensions with accurate details
- Weighted, detailed underframes
- 3-rail trucks pre-drilled for Atlas O Adjust-A-Couplers®
This familiar hopper was an industry standard on many railroads since the 1930s. It was adopted by the AAR as a recommended design, but fell out of favor by the mid-1950s. While offering greater capacity over cars with conventional flat sides, the original open hoppers created corrosive interaction between acidic coal and the car’s joints, leading to costly rebuilding programs.